Sometimes I like to imagine that the things I want to write will just come to exist by themselves. But I’m learning the hard way that even my imagination has limitations.
I used to think goal-setting was for nerds, but now I understand why people bother with it. In this post, I’ll break down some of my goals and endeavors over the next few months. I realized the other day that I sew and knit to procrastinate, so my primary objective is to use my time more wisely to develop my writing.
Let me know what you think.
a little bit about sewing stuff
This month I’m taking part in Me Made May. Me Made May is an internet movement created by Zoe from the internet challenging people who make their own clothes to wear the things they make throughout May.
my me made may pledge
I, Justina (@justinaforever), sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’17. I endeavor to wear at least one me-made item of clothing each day for the duration of May 2017.
I try to wear the things that I make every day anyway, but Me Made May makes me realize I need to do a few extra things this month.
things to do for me made may
- Turn the dresses that I rarely wear into tops. (I need to stop making tee dresses because they tend to ride up if I wear a backpack. Ugh, inappropriate!) I’ll chop them up, re-hem them into tops, and try to salvage the rest of the fabric into other tops.
- Find a really good pattern for shorts. It’s much too hot to wear pants now.
- Use up the rest of the fabric I have hiding in my apartment.
but this post isn’t about making clothes. it’s about writing.
Thing is, what I really should be doing instead of knitting and sewing is working on all the stories I want to write. So here are my goals for all of you to see. I’m declaring them here so you can hold me accountable to them.
- Publish a blog post each week.
- Finish writing my novel for kids, which I’ve been working on since 2010.
- Make an outline for the new novel bubbling inside my soullll.
- Read lots of CanLit written by women, and make a true effort to read work by women of color.
But how to accomplish these goals? With these here rules:
rules for getting more writing did
- Write for at least 25 minutes in the morning before work. (I bought an egg timer for this.)
- No knitting or sewing until I have written for at least 25 minutes that day.
- I am only allowed to knit while watching TV, on public transportation, and during 5-minute breaks between writing.
- Capture ALL my ideas (especially the worst ones) in my handy dandy notebook.
i have dreams u know
advice? insight? feedback?
Am I doing this all wrong? What are your hopes and dreams? Don’t be shy! Let me know in the comments…