#1. This is the first one I made. I sewed it without prewashing the fabric first. BIG MISTAKE! It became like a vegetable. Plus the neckline is too low 🙁 I’ve still worn it a couple of times. Mostly to sleep.
#2. This is the one I made at The Workroom during the Wiksten Tank class. Made me want to ditch our Singer machine for a Bernina! Not happening any time soon though! The fabric is some quilting cotton covered in poppies, which I realize might be sort of inauspicious. I like it anyway.
#3. This is the one I made out of some adorable fabric covered in seals!
#4. And this again is the dress with the upside-down fish, taken somewhere within Forbidden City during our trip to Beijing.
So after making a bunch of Wiksten Tanks (pics later), I bought some cool fabric thinking I’d make matching tank tops for my twin Jessica and me. My thought process behind choosing this fabric: we are pisces and her wardrobe is full of black, white, grey, and stripes. So I thought this might add a bit of colour. Um, a lot of colour.
Lucky for Jessica, I didn’t have enough of the fish fabric to make two tank tops. So I decided to make myself a dress instead. With an elastic waistband (because the dress looks like a mumu on me otherwise) and pockets (because I hate carrying a purse. In fact, I don’t really own one).
raised neckline by 3/4”
S in armholes, neck, but traced between XS and S for side seam
added pockets using this tutorial. (Next time adjust from 1/2″ to 5/8″ to match the 3/8″ seam allowance. I don’t know what I’m talking about here but I feel like I should remember this note for next time.)
added an elastic (made it up): cut out a bias casing from fabric, 3″ wide, as long as the dress. Sewed it along waistline.
the fish are upside down!!!! What was I thinking?
the bias tape facing at the neckline and armholes doesn’t lay flat. I think that next time for the first step I’ll sew it at a 1/4” seam allowance (instead of 3/8”) — is this an error in the pattern? I don’t know. Or use this tutorial from grainline for getting bias necklines to stay flat
the bunching of the fabric because of the elastic waist looks a bit awkward but I don’t really care that much.
Try cutting the top part and the skirt part separately. Would eliminate some of the bunching.
Sometime in 2009, prompted by a section of The Artist’s Way, I made a list of ten things I wanted to do at some point. I’ve since lost the list but I remember that two of the things were learning some form of martial arts and taking up sewing.
Fast forward to 2014. I enrolled in the Sewing Machine Essentials and Wiksten Tank classes at the workroom last month. As someone who doesn’t spend that much time in the west end of Toronto (I live near the Beach), I found out about the workroom in a roundabout way. I’d made a fun hat using a Wiksten pattern that I’d purchased through Ravelry.
Soon I found myself on the Wiksten Made website, where I came across the Wiksten Tank pattern. After a bunch of Googling and clicking I discovered Karyn’s blogpost about all the tanks she’d made using the pattern — and that Karyn ran the workroom.
~~ instant inspiration ~~
I signed up for classes and now I’ve pretty much quit knitting to sew stuff instead. My poor stash of yarn is languishing in a pile by the window like dried-up once-soggy ramen. I’ve sewed a bunch of things since.
The first thing I sewed (during the class) was a cushion cover. My cushion is poufy and ugly.
Then I learned how to make zipper pouches on the Internet.
Then I made a bunch of zipper pouches featuring a linocut print of my design — meet Commander Catfield and Félicette, the first cat in space! These will be for sale at Story Planet.
A post with all the Wiksten Tanks to come. I should probably warn you that I know nothing about buying fabric and I think I have no taste. You’ve been warned!